Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The same lesson over and over and over and over....

Christmas. That wonderful time of year when you worry about making sure your kids get gifts just as good as their friends. I know what you're saying - no, that's not what it's all about. But any parent who has seen the look of disappointment on their child's face when you couldn't get them what they truely wanted or had to explain why Santa brings all the good gifts to the really wealthy kids knows exactly what I mean. Plus there's the whole stupid competition with the Ex thing. And yes, I know that's stupid. Even more so if you knew my Ex (atory about him next time).

This year I knew it would be tight, but I had planned it out carefully. Grandma had gotten us a Wii, which was one the list (big surprise there - and in case you can't tell, my eyes are rolling). I would be able to get one of the expensive items on their list (Wii fit) and then a few of the less expensive things.

I had it planned out perfectly. Perfectly. Except for one thing. I failed to plan for my car breaking down and having to spend $300.00 on it. And I didn't expect to get hit with a $30.00 mandatory (and by mandatory, I mean strong arm like the mafia) contribution to by boss' gift. I managed to pull out of the office grab bag (which has a limit of $25.00). See, only one other person here is self supporting and her kids are grown and gone. Everyone else works to "make things easier" for their families. Oh yeah. Then there was the ATM withdrawal that I ADDED instead of subtracting. Which puts me roughly $400.00 in the whole.

So now my kids wonder why I'm rationing the milk.

And the worst part? I have no one to blame but myself.....

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I've been in your shoes so many times in the last seven years as a single mom. We all get in a tight...don't beat yourself up. Is
there anyone you can borrow money from, just so you can get out of the hole? Good luck...

Unknown said...

I think everyone gets in those binds sometimes.. it just sucks. I know it hurts not to be able to provide everything they want. Just remember they have more than most kids.. and more than the rest of the world! And they're blessed with a mom that loves them fiercely, and wants to give them the world..
hugs,
Jean

Shupe said...

It's tough. I know.

Hang in there- and really, truly, serioulsy- DON'T worry what the gift is. in 2 months they won't even know what santa brought them.

Do something fun in exchange of big santa gifts- the memories are what stick.

Lord knows with money issues- I sit there daily!

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria. It seems I've lost several friends of late. Glad I finally found you again. I, too, have a Google blog but am still learning my way around it. (You can still teach an old dog new tricks - it just takes longer) LOL
Do have a wonderful and beautiful Christmas.
L e e

Anonymous said...

I'm with Jean on this one. They are blessed, very blessed, and in the long run they will never remember that one gift they didn't get one year. It's the really little stuff we all remember when we grow up; how mommy would brush our hair, or tuck us in each night with a kiss that made us feel safe and loved in a sometimes scary world, that's what really matters.
(Don't borrow money, please! Just hang on. There's always birthdays.)

Chelle said...

Ya, know.. One year, my Christmas was saved because Tshirt hell bought one of my ideas for $200. Isn't that pathetic?

I don't even LIKE Tshirt hell.

But they saved Christmas for me. Christmas will still be great. When I was single parenting 3 kids and the shit hit the fan, I put on loud, crazy music and danced with my kiddos for a solid hour before bed time.

Sultan said...

When I was small my family went through periods when we had a lot of money and almost no money at all. The best gifts that I got as a child, the ones I remember most, were simple. They tended to be cheap games or books that my parents would play or read with me. Their attention was the real gift.

The fact that you are there for your children will make all the difference in their lives in the end