Saturday, December 13, 2008

Oops

So my kids are with their Dad this weekend. I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to finish up most of the wrapping, get the stocking stuffers organized, etc. But I was also in need of some relaxation. Relaxation won out, at least at first. I lit some candles, put on a movie and wrapped up in a cuddly throw I have. Then suddenly it was an hour later. I fell asleep. Got up and ran around to check the candles, being very thankful I didn't burn the house down. Now it was time for work. I went up to my bedroom, pulled out a couple of presents, brought them down and went back up for the wrapping paper. I dug it out of my closet (my bedroom is home for everything unloved, unwanted and without home, stumbling over presents, etc, when suddenly the smoke alarm goes off. Which is not a big surprise since the shower occasionally sets it off. I grab the stepstool (see? has no other home, so it's in my room) and climb up and push the silence button. Which causes a blinding light to suddenly shine in my eyes like the inquisition and a much louder, piercing alarm starts sounding. Which of course makes me jump back in response. Which wouldn't be a problem except I'm on a step ladder. Amazingly I don't fall, and after righting myself I push the silince button again and this time it works.

But strangely, I still hear a smoke alarm coming from downstairs. Wow, I didn't even know that one worked! But the real question is why is it working? It has never gone off since I've lived there. It's just outside of the kitchen and I have burned plenty of things. So I run down stairs and I smell this awful smell, like melting plastic. Now I'm a little concerned that my house might actually be on fire. I don't see any smoke tho. And the smoke alarm has gone off. Then I see this small tealight lamp I had lit and it looks a little odd. When I pick it up I realize why. The tealight is completely melted. Not just the candle, but the entire thing, even the container. It has dripped all down the side and has hardened. And I can't get it off. No matter how hard I try.

The thing is, I never burn candles when the kids are around because I'm always afraid they will knock them over or get burned. Apparently they are the ones I need to worry about.

2 comments:

Jeankfl said...

Yea!!! You did it!!! I'm just glad you didn't burn yourself up!! The girls would have to live with their dad forever, then!! Apparently they AREN'T the ones to worry about! Be careful!! I always put something like ceramic or glass under anything with a candle.. I don't want it melting down and burning my furniture up! Hope you still got lots done!
hugs,
Jean

Laoch of Chicago said...

Due to trolling I am moving my blog to blogger -

http://checkraise2.blogspot.com/

: (