Monday, August 2, 2010

This is just craziness

So, a few months ago I started having these heart palpitations. Not bad or often, so I didn't really worry about it.

Then about three weeks ago, I woke up with terrible heartburn. Terrible. And nothing helped. So I eventually called my doctor to get something stronger. But she wasn't in so I ended up seeing her associate. He is convinced I am having a heart attack, even giving me an EKG. Which of course, came out fine. Then he proceeds to tell me this story about a man who came in with the same symptoms, had a normal EKG and refused to go to the hospital for further testing.

Then he went home and died.

Needless to say, I went to the hospital where they took blood, gave me another EKG, did a chest x-ray, and gave me an ultrasound of my gallbladder and liver. Big surprise, everything was FINE. And no palpitations. Until I left.

I had a check up scheduled for last week, so when i went to see my doctor, I mentioned the palpitations (which were getting stronger and more frequent) and it actually happened WHILE I WAS THERE!!! So the nurse grabbed my wrist and felt it. I have never been so happy to be validated in my whole life.

They decided it was probably my Thyroid, took more blood and check that. Nope.

Now they have me on this 30 day heart event monitor. Basically I have this little box attached to leads which are attached to my body. When I feel the palpitations coming on, I push a button and it records it. And if the event is strong enough the machine will start taping it by itself. Then I call it in and transmit the data over the phone.

The first day I had it, the thing was going off so frequently I couldn't keep up with it. Then the next day it was much better. The day after, not so much. Back and forth.

My mother emails me today and says she has been diagnosed with Hyperparathyroidism, and oddly, I have almost all the symptoms. One of which is heart palpitations. So now I have a call into my doc about that. I na way that would be nice, cause it's easily fixable.

But I guess we'll see.

4 comments:

The Gaelic Wife said...

Wasn't your thyroid level okay when they checked? How do they check for the thing your mom has?

Sultan said...

Some times this is a symptom of anemia. Hopefully it will turn out to be something minor i any event.

Unknown said...

The parathyroid is different from the thyroid. Harder to test (for the tester, not you), too, but not unusual. Hope it's that!!

DavidShag said...

The guy who didn't follow up and died - he saved quite a bit in medical billls, I'd imagine. Have you gone around saying most people have only one thyroid, but you have a parathyroid?