Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A brief (at least for me) update

I have sat down at my computer at least a dozen times in the last two weeks to write, just staring at the screen. Not because I didn't have anything to say, but because I've been so overwhelmed and tired I didn't even know where to start. So here is a brief summary of the events of late.

My boss, T, quit. T's stepdad owns half of the business (in addition to several other businesses), and T was being groomed to eventually take over. But D, the other owner (who is the active partner) runs the business extraordinarily poorly and refuses to retire. He's 76, lives with his 101 year old mother, is very forgetful, rarely showers, keeps all documentation at his house, would come into the office at 4:00 pm to work (which I liked because that meant I really didn't have to deal with him), etc. But worst of all, he won't give up ordering supplies, but he can't ever remember to order them. And not office supplies, the supplies we need to do what we do.

After too many years it became to much for T to handle. And he took a job in another state (except for college, he's never lived anywhere else) and he left. Which meant we had no buffer between us and D. But it was a really good decision for T.

Then D makes the decision that he's not going to replace T, so the rest of use have to pick up the slack (which is kind of difficult when there are only 4 employees left to cover), but what are you going to do? Even a crappy job is better than no job.

Then D gets really sick with some virus and his mom passes away. So he's a mess, of course. Not even able to make the necessary arrangements. Needless to say, we start running out of everything. And literally can't work.

Then, two days later, T calls (he's been checking in alot, apparently letting go is harder than he thought). But he's not checking in. His stepfather died. Which may or may not mean T has to move back to take over the businesses, I don't know. It was just awful, he and his stepdad were so very close.

The next day Shannon got her tonsils and adnoids out. They were HUGE. The doctor took a picture for her (which I will spare you) and they measure 1 1/2 inches! So she is in alot of pain and not sleeping well, but she can BREATHE!

D's mom's funeral was today, so we closed the office long enough to go and pay our respects. 101 - just think of all she saw, all she experienced.

And lastly, let's not forget me waking up in the middle of the night to find Emma standing at the foot of my bed fully dressed. When I asked her why, she started crying and said she didn't know. Apparently she was asleep.

Well, that's what's up here. Sorry it's so blunt and short, but I desperately need some sleep.


Laoch of Chicago said...

Sounds terribly stressful.

Sleep walking seems scary to me.

louralann said...

Wow, sounds like you've really been stressed out. Keep your chin up and I hope everything will work out.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! And get some sleep!!!

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

Oh dear. Take care of yourself.